Since 2005, residents of Aurora have had to deal with a breed ban that is simply not an effective way of managing dangerous dogs. Numerous professional and legal organizations have come forward to strongly oppose the Aurora breed ban legislation. Some of these organizations include the American Bar Association, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the American Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT), American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB), the National Animal Control Association (NACA) and even the Center for Disease Control (CDC)- to name a few. Every single one of these organizations has conducted its own independent studies and research on the issue and have duly concluded that breed-specific laws are not the way to go. But yet they continue.
The truth of the matter is that the ban has not done anything to ensure the safety and well-being of the people of Aurora, Colorado. The number of dog bites in Aurora has actually increased over the years since the law was put into effect. Immediately after the law was passed, there was a surge in the number of cases of aggressive dogs in the city. The raw numbers clearly show that the enactment of legislation into law did absolutely nothing to improve the safety of the public. The reverse was however true.
Dog bites from targeted breeds only account for 15% of dog bites that occur in Aurora. The remaining 85% of dog bite cases are from breeds that are not targeted by the ban. Most people are not aware of these crucial facts. Even with this information right out there in the open many media outlets in the Aurora and Denver area are not willing to publish these facts. The facts simply aren’t as interesting as sensationalizing the next dog bite.
Over the years, many people who have supported the ban including Aurora City Council members have come to realize that it has done more harm than good. This realization has been long overdue despite the supporting factual information that is there for people to see. The truth of the matter is that public safety has not improved because of the enactment of this legislation into law. The people behind the ban in the first place have been strongly criticized for not approaching the issue with fairness and open minds. The different opinions regarding the ban have led some crucial figures in Aurora to associate the banned dog breeds with certain social classes of people and races. Such associations are obviously beside the point and they do not help to address the big issue of public safety that is in everyone’s mind.…Read more